Sunday, February 20, 2011

Writing Tips or Things That Make Me Go ACK!

You guys are amazing. Seriously.

The participation on our prompts has really blown us away. We are so honored you're sharing your words with us. Your posts have moved us to tears and laughter, have made us think, have stayed with us long after we've closed your page.

I try to get to every post. And if I missed yours this week, please leave me a note in the comments and I will be sure to come visit.

And since I read so many posts, there are a few things I want to bring to your attention.

1. Spellcheck. I've seen a lot of typos, and while in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal, I think it takes away from the overall impact of your piece. I know how busy we all are, but it takes only a minute to re-read your post and fix any errors.

2. Word usage. Specifically, its and it's. I cringe when they're not used properly. "It's" is ONLY a contraction for it is: "It's a beautiful day." "Its" is used for possession, just like you would say his or her: "Its teeth were long." Please be mindful of this.

3. Tense. Pick one and stick with it. Past tense is the most common. Again, read through and make sure you're consistent with whatever tense you choose.

4. Concrit. There are posts that won't touch you. They might confuse you, or maybe the writing isn't your cup of tea. Try to find something positive, maybe a line you particularly liked, or move on. It's fine if you have something constructive to say - by all means, share your thoughts. But if you don't, you don't have to comment. Remember we are all finding our way, trying new things. These are our babies we're putting out there.

5. No one is perfect. I'm offering these tips to help all of us, not to be a grammar police. Even though I sorta am. ;)

No comments: