Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Featured Blogger - Jessica from Adventures with Three Girls

This week's featured blogger is Jessica, from Adventures with Three Girls. People?  She has three girls under five!!!  She must be Wonder Woman....

1. Tell us about yourself.  I'm a mom to three little girls, ages 4 1/2, 2 1/2, and 1.  We live in Los Angeles. I gave up my glamorous job as a veterinarian for the equally glamorous job of staying home with them. I spend my days potty training, changing diapers, and feeding small children with hollow legs.  My husband is also a veterinarian.  We have 3 cats, one dog, some fish, and a tortoise, all of whom make occasional appearances on my blog.

I hope, one day, to be comfortable calling myself a writer.  I participated in NaNoWriMo in November and have the first draft of my first novel waiting for some, okay, a lot, of editing.  I've heard to let it rest for a while, so it can settle or something.  I'm hoping while it rests, it will settle into less of a hot mess.  Kind of like my two year old.  Maybe all it needs is a good nap. 


2. Give us a 30-second elevator pitch of your blog.  Adventures With Three Girls started as a place for me to write.  I wanted, really, needed that outlet after my third child was born.  I started writing down all the funny, crazy things that happen in our house and it helped me see the humor in it when I was ready to pull my hair out.  It's evolving right now  into a place for me to write about whatever I want.  There are still funny stories about the girls, but sometimes I write about green living, or tips for organizing, or a recipe I like, and sometimes I write fiction.    It's becoming my place to just be me and I expect some big changes in the coming year. They're percolating right now.  

3. Who is your favorite literary character and why?   My favorite is Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream .  I love how mischievous he is. I like how he has a little fun, makes a couple mistakes, kind of apologizes, and life goes on.  I also love fairies and fantastical creatures and he fits that well.

4. If you carved your initials in a tree, what kind of tree would it be and why?   A pine tree.  I grew up in Minnesota and we had a lot of pines in our backyard. Whenever I smell pine, it reminds me of home.  I also liked to climb trees, so I climbed the pine trees.  It was a sticky and somewhat uncomfortable endeavor with all the needles. I think I earned a little carving into a pine tree, they certainly have left some marks on me.

5. What animal does your husband look like and why?    A chimpanzee for sure.  He's lanky like a chimp and his arms are a little on the long side.  But mostly I chose a chimpanzee because of his monkey toes. They're really long.  He can spread them wide like a hand.  He uses them to pick things up.  I've even caught him using them like an extra set of hands to hold something so he can use both hands.  Like he'll hold two parts, one with a foot, one with one hand, and use his other hand to screw them together. It's weird. Also, he can pinch with his toes.  Really hard.



6. If you could only save one post in a fire, what would it be and why?  If I had to save one post, it would be Bon Apetit.  This was my life with a newborn, a toddler, and a preschooler.  It was exhausting, but I don't want to forget the mayhem.  I'm already starting to forget.  I think it's a survival instinct.  Although not my very first post, this was the story that started the blog.  I was relaying this story, in tears, to my husband, and he was cracking up.  Not helpful. He told me I should write this stuff down because it was hilarious.  And so a blog was born.

No comments: