Thursday, September 23, 2010

Big changes, and an introduction

Red Dress Clubbers,

As you might have noticed, Ericka hasn't been around much.

There's a reason. She got a real (paying) job that's keeping her busy, along with her very active one year-old. And so she's decided to step down as co-host of The Red Dress Club.

I'm very sad, as Ericka brought a ton of energy, ideas and fantastic writing to our group.

However.

I'm thrilled to announce a new host. Nichole from in these small moments has graciously agreed to come on board. She's an academic, but a down-to-earth one. And if you haven't read her blog, check it out - especially if you want to read beautiful prose, such as this one and this one.

Before I let her introduce herself, I want you to know I remain committed to growing and making this place even better. Nichole and I have some fabulous ideas. We want to hear from you, too. Please feel free to email or to leave your comments below and let us know if there's anything you'd like to see here. Know that we are working on getting you all into the private blog.

And now, here's Nichole:


When Cheryl invited me to join her here at The Red Dress Club, I thought that she was surely teasing me.  I kept waiting for her to say, “You didn’t really fall for that, did you?”

Once she assured me that she was serious, I felt like one of those contestants on The Price Is Right. You know the ones, the exuberant souls who run wildly to the stage, jumping up and down like they’re on fire?  Yeah, like that, complete with my “I LOVE The Red Dress Club” T-shirt.

That’s how excited I am to be here.

Until I had my children, I was an English professor and was passionate about my work.  Seeing my students grow and expand upon their skills and confidence fueled me.  The look in their eyes when they were successful, when they learned through the act of writing, energized me. 

The beauty of writing is so often found in the process itself, as opposed to the final product.  Both are important, of course, but the process, while hard work, is exhilarating. 

After staying home, focusing completely on my family, I came to recognize that I needed something more, something that was just for me.  I wanted to use my brain in those familiar ways.  I needed to write, to exchange ideas, and to grow.  To fulfill some of these needs, I began blogging in April of this year and it has brought me surprising fulfillment. 

But now, I’m ready for a bit more.  I yearn to be a part of a writing community, one that fosters creativity and growth.  I hope to share what I know and learn from you all.  I want to feed off that creative fire that can occur only in a group. 

Thank you, Cheryl, for this opportunity.  And I thank each of you for allowing me to join your group.  I’m eager to get started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write it!